Saturday, June 9, 2007

down on the farm...

Today we were supposed to have a lesson on Parguayan history, but the professor didn´t show we have a rare Saturday to ourselves. I used the morning hours to make a few phone calls on Skype, so if I random number is on your caller ID... ANSWER IT! Talked to Dad, Carolyn and Taylor and it was great to hear all of your voices!!

The food here is pretty nuts. A favorite drink is a mix of wine, Coke and ice. YUM-Y! Everything we consume is meat based or white... white rice, mandioc (which is a starch relative of the potato) and bread, hard or soft. GREAT! There are also ZERO condiments other than salt and oil. I don´t want to offend my mom too much, but we´re quickly approaching a conversation about the foods she´s pumping into my blood stream. The thing to do is drink mate. Its sort of like green tea but they add different herbs for different problems. there is even one for PMS, although I haven´t tested it yet! When I upload pictures I´ll include ones of us drinking the mate.

My average day is as follows...

6:30am: get up and shower
7:00: drink cafe con leche (but its mostly just sugar) and some hard bread
7:45-11:30: language training, and my language partner Brennan and I pracitcing sarcasm in spanish
11:30-1pm: my favorite time of day... SIESTA!!! (and lunch)
1-5pm: technical training about how to do development and work with groups
5-8: practicing spanish with my fam and playing more Uno than should be legal
8-9 or 10: study Spanish and Guarani, and reading up on developement

I guess this is what I would call living the dream? Ha! Its fun though and I´m still on a high, but they promise a bad day is just around the corner.

This weekend will have more volleyball or soccer and an American dance party. Should be fun! A fellow trainee´s bro is getting married in two weeks, and this morning I got the official invite! I´m PUMPED! Only 3 of us are invited so far... so we´re a pretty big deal! There is also a dude that lives in my community that is Japanese, which is rare. He´s really helped the community a lot and the local school is named after him! He´s in the process of building a pagota on top of a giant hill... so I´m hoping today we can explore it. I´ll let you know!

Keep the emails coming. I love hearing what everyone is doing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.