Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What´s new in the campo?

Its a holiday for Paraguayans, so we don´t have class. Its a short week too because tomorrow we´re spending the day exploring Ascuncion (the capital) and then on Saturday we leave (SOLO!) to live with another volunteer for a few days. I have no idea where I´ll be sent in the country or what project I´ll be doing with what type of volunteer, but I´m definitely excited!

A group of us traveled to Ita today, which is the closest "city" to our campo of Las Piedras. Its about a 20 minute bus ride. The Cyber wasn´t open yet so we explored. We ended up grabbing a morning snack for 3.000 Guaranis which is equivalent to about 60 cents. And that was for all 4 of us! Everything is so cheap here. Its amazing!

Saturday I was taking my regular siesta and my friend Andrew walked into my room. He was bored so we decided to go on a walk to the local town to see our friends in the Municipal group. As we were meeting up with them we saw a 3 firetrucks. I thought it was a parade! Oh naive Betsy... a 12 year old was thrown 5 yards off his moto and was in the middle of the road. I kid you not, everyone in the city was crowded around him watching. No barriers at all! Motorcycle accidents happen all the time, but I´m so glad it´s a PC rule that we´re not even allowed near them.

Its a month of celebrating San Juan, which I really don´t comprehend. All I know is there are parties every weekend in our campo! Saturday was the first one. Only myself and 2 other guys went, but it was intersting. About 75 dudes ranging from 13-25 years old and only about 20 girls. All of the guys are obsessed with meeting girls! I thought them claiming I was their girlfriend would save me from pushy Parguayans, but it actually does the opposite! I save them!! My friend Andrew was harassed all night by guys trying to hook him up with girls. It was pretty classic!

For the PC we´re required to give a "charla," which is essentially a chat about a business topic. They have to be prepared in a manner that those that can´t read could understand and its supposed to be in Spanish. Pretty much everyone is going in July but I´ve been asked to go THIS Friday! Luckily, I get to speak in English. Its about marketing and needs based assessments, so I should be ok. I´m glad to get it over with though!

Today is the anniversary of my host grandmother´s death. I have no idea when she passed away or how. This morning I was trying to get info out of my little bro about it. To confirm my suspisions that she was dead, I asked "where is you´re grandmother?" And so matter of factly my bro responded "in the cemetary Betsy!" He´s a character but can be a little brat. The boys are waited on by their mothers all their lives, so he´s already experiencing that and loving it.

Not much else to report! As we all know, Teale got engaged so congrats! Kel moves to DC Friday and Kyle´s moving to FL on Monday. So excited for you all!

Are there any questions that you guys have about Paraguay´? I´m running out of material folks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your page...I'm coming to Paraguay as an Environmental Educator in September! I have been trying so hard to find a way of hearing what Guarani sounds like - can you describe it?